Teachable Moments

Amy Sales

Amy Sales, MSW, LCSW-C

My role as a social worker in the cancer center can be very humbling at times to say the least. Complete strangers often share their intimate feelings during their darkest times, and they allow me to support them whether it be through a hug or an action-oriented task to solve a problem. It’s an honor to be a part of their lives. Seldom do people work in a profession where their roles intersect with our personal lives but mine did this past weekend as I accompanied my 13 year old daughter to the funeral of one of her classmates who died after battling leukemia.

I privately counted my blessings that my child is healthy and that this loss was not mine to bear, only to be reminded that in some small way, it was all of ours to own through the eyes of the youth that sat in that church. They looked much too young to be experiencing such a loss. I could have chosen the easier path, opting to quickly dismiss this event with a simple “pat on the head” and an overbooked calendar which would not have permitted time to attend this funeral. But, that’s not how growth and coping skills are achieved. We face the “hard” things on a regular basis . Sometimes, we are forced to, but other times, we face hardship because we know that it will eventually allow for the best outcome – even under the worst of circumstances.

The support that occurs daily within our cancer center doesn’t stay here. As much as we would like to separate our work from personal life—we don’t and we can’t. Life’s lessons that are gained here are used to guide our relationships with family, friends, community and yes – even our children.

I encourage everyone to not “pass” on the difficult moments that life has to offer (whether it be in your professional or personal life) because the sense of acceptance, closure, and lack of regret that can be obtained will last a lifetime.

VN:F [1.9.17_1161]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
7 Comments

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Comments

Therese April 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm

How true...Those difficult moments are when we learn how to cope with and reconcile life events

Norrie March 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Well said Amy I couldn't agree with you more.

Joanne March 31, 2011 at 10:50 am

You are so right. When people find out what I do (RN in oncology at JHH) they say to me "Isn't your job depressing"? I answer NO. My patients' teach me everyday that everyone has a story - not just a cancer story. It's this connection, hearing their story that has kept me loving what I do.

Sheri Lowman March 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Great advice! You never cease to amaze me. Thank you.

Lori March 30, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I agree whole heartedly!

Tina March 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm

well said, couldn't agree more.

Karen March 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Nicely said Amy. Thank you.

Johns Hopkins Medicine does not necessarily endorse, nor does Johns Hopkins Medicine edit or control, the content of posted comments by third parties on this website. However, Johns Hopkins Medicine reserves the right to remove any such postings that come to the attention of Johns Hopkins Medicine which are deemed to contain objectionable or inappropriate content. Read our Commenting Disclaimer.

Click to hear an audio file of the anti-spam word

Previous post: